Local
Business
Sports
Leisure
BM
Kadazan Dusun
EDUCATION
ECO
Archives
Latest News
 
Nst-studio
Kerajaan digesa selesai masalah mendapan pasir sungai Tampasuk |  Lebih 60 rumah rosak di Tanjung Batu Laut akibat ribut, hujan |  60 hamin noumbak tu tongus topuod id Tawau |  Overseas stint for Sabahan Masturah |  Shuttler Goh wins men’s singles |  Ben among stellar cast |  Senior police officer fined RM20,000 for having illegal immigrant in house |  More charter, extra flights to Sabah |  Fighting cocks possible H5N1 source according to Junz |  Green turtle likely killed by boat propeller |  Death of elephants haunts Minister |  Over 60 houses damaged in storm |  GBS will be new opposition bloc |  Ministry starts working on solving Sabah unemployment issues |  Pemegang kad pengenalan merah lebih 60 tahun diberi taraf warganegara: PM | 
 EDUCATION

Deserving students to get one-off scholarship

30th July, 2018

By MICHAEL TEH

KOTA KINABALU: The RM10 million one-off scholarship allocation for high achievers of private higher learning institutions (IPTS) in Sabah, especially those from the poor bracket will help them to pursue their tertiary studies.

With the scholarship, these bright students from underprivileged families do not have to worry about their course fees and living allowance among others, when enrolling in top universities.

State Education and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr Yusof Yacob disclosed the new deal in his speech at the 26th anniversary celebration of the Association of Sabah National Type Chinese School Management Committees (Donglian Sabah) cum appreciation banquet for principals and teachers of primary and secondary schools, here on Saturday.

He noted that the scholarships will be distributed by the State Scholarship Division which comes under his ministry. “We will conduct the necessary exercise to select and to send our top students to some of the top universities in the world, in stages, hopefully starting from next year.

“This is in line with the present State government’s aspiration to produce a pool of quality human resources that are much needed for the development of the state.

“I fully concur with our Chief Minister Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal that, we need to invest more money in education for our future generation, towards making Sabah the most developed state in Malaysia in the future,” he said.

Dr Yusof went on to note that he has started discussing with the State Education director Datuk Hajah Maimunah Hj Suhaibul, who was also present, on the urgent need to pay serious attention to resolve some of the pressing issues affecting education in Sabah, such as the lack of good and proper infrastructures, basic facilities and amenities like power and water supply to the schools.

“I have recently told the principals and teachers that they should let the government and the ministry worried about this matter. They should just focus on teaching our children to ensure that they have good education,” he stressed.

Meanwhile, in his speech earlier, Donglian Sabah chairman Ben Lim Kiat Kong proclaimed that the association will give its full support to the government.

“We believe that we should work closely with the government to make sure that our schools progress well and most importantly, are able to produce good and excellent students who would be serving our nation in the future,” he said.

He also noted that Donglian Sabah consists of all the Schools’ Boards of Governors of Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina (SJKC) and Sekolah Menengah Jenis Kebangsaan (SMJK) in Sabah.

“There are 83 SJKC and 8 SMJK with a total number of 35,478 students under SJKC and 10,296 students under SMJK respectively. That adds up to 45,774 students and 55 per cent of these students are actually Bumiputera and the remaining 45 per cent students are Chinese.

“We are confident that the Government will continue to support our SJKC and SMJK especially to the schools that require urgent upgrade of their buildings for safety reasons,” he said.

He further noted that the respective school’s Board of Governors being the owners of their school’s land and building have been managing their schools since before independence.

After independence in 1963, all these schools were incorporated into the national educational system. The schools’ Boards of Governors continue to carry out their duties albeit in a reduced role.

“Being a SJKC or SMJK, we provide opportunities to our students irrespective of their religious and racial background, to learn Chinese Language in a Government school and to learn Bahasa Malaysia and English language in accordance with the national syllabus and curriculum,” he added.

   
Email Print
   
 
 
E-browse